SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, is advising stakeholders of the main changes recently made to the European Union’s ‘Blue Guide’.
First published in 2000, the ‘Blue Guide’ explains the general principles of EU consumer product legislation. It provides non-binding guidance on:
- Non-food product safety requirements
- Conformity assessment
- Laboratory accreditation
- CE marking
- EU market surveillance
In June 2022, the latest version of the guide was published to reflect recent legislative changes, including the adoption of the Regulation on Market Surveillance (Regulation (EU) 2019/1020).
SGS has published SafeGuardS 102.22 to provide an overview of the main changes introduced by this updated document. Changes include:
- Providing examples of ‘own use exemptions’ for placing onto the market
- Updates in relation to the EU Commission’s ambition for a broader right to repair
- New section inserted to introduce cybersecurity as a risk, and to classify software updates similar to physical repairs and modifications
- Clarification that Declaration of Conformity (DoC) continuously needs to be updated
- Explanation of the role and obligations of fulfilment service providers, and online sales obligations as defined in Regulation (EU) 2019/1020
- Section relating to the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the EU (Brexit) and the status of Northern Ireland
SGS Consumer Product Services
SGS provides news about the development of regulations affecting consumer products as a complimentary service. With an unrivalled global network of laboratories, they offer physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Consumer Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full EU Revises Blue Guide SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Toys Business Development
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.