SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, is reminding stakeholders that Japan has launched a one-month consultation over a proposal to designate perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) related substances as Class I Specified Chemical Substances.
The Ministries of Health, Labor and Welfare (WHLW), Trade, Economy and Industry (METI), and Environment opened the consultation on March 2, 2022, and will accept comments until April 2, 2022.
Important provisions within the draft regulation are:
- List of PFOA-related substances
- Prohibitions on the importation of the following PFOA-related substance containing products:
- Floor waxes
- Protective and antifouling agents for textile products
- Water and oil repellents
- Textile products with water and oil repellent properties
- Defoamers (anti-foaming agents)
- Coating agents
- Optical fibers or coating agents applied to optical fibers
- Fire extinguishers, fire extinguishing agents for fire extinguisher and fire extinguishing foam
- An allowance for limited ‘essential uses’ of PFOA-related substances
PFOA and/or its salts were designated as Class I Specified Chemical Substances in 2021 under Japan’s ‘Act on the Evaluation of Chemical Substances and Regulation of their Manufacture, etc.’ (Chemical Substances Control Law, CSCL). A wide variety of products containing PFOA and/or its salts have therefore been banned from importation since October 2021.
SGS Chemical Testing
SGS offers a comprehensive range of testing services to help manufacturers and suppliers ensure their products are safe and comply with national and international regulations concerning harmful chemicals. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS Chemical Testing Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Japan Consults Over Proposal to Designate PFOA-Related Substances as Class I Specified Chemical Substances SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. Hingwo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.