SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, is advising stakeholders that, starting in December 2022, Canada will be prohibiting the manufacture, import and sale of six categories of single-use plastic.
The Single-use Plastics Prohibition Regulations (SOR/2022-138) was issued on June 22, 2022. It covers single-use plastic:
- Checkout bags
- Foodservice ware
- Ring carriers
- Stir sticks
Provisions in the new law include:
- Definitions of each product category
- Exemption for single-use plastic flexible straws with a corrugated section to enable and maintain a bend
- Temporary exemption on the manufacture, import and sale for the purposes of export, for all categories of single-use plastics until December 19, 2025
- Manufacturers for the purpose of export or imports for the purpose of export must maintain records for a minimum of five years at the person’s place of business in Canada or at any place in Canada where they can be inspected
Stakeholders should also be aware that physical testing of the following products must be conducted by an ISO/IEC 17025 accredited laboratory where the accreditation body is a signatory to the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation Mutual Recognition Arrangement (ILAC MRA), or under the Environmental Quality Act. Otherwise, analysis must be performed in accordance with standards for good scientific practice:
- Single-use plastic check out bags
- Single-use plastic cutlery
- Single-use plastic flexible straws
- Single-use plastic foodservice ware
- Single-use plastic straws
For more information on the products being prohibited and exemptions to the law, read SGS’s original SafeGuardS 087.22.
The provisions in the new law will be implemented in phases, starting December 20, 2022.
SGS Food Contact Material Services
SGS’s technical experts have extensive experience of testing materials and articles in contact with food. They can ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. SGS offers the full range of testing, including migration tests, along with expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Food Contact Material Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Canada Bans Several Categories of Single-Use Plastic Product SafeGuardS.
Subscribe her, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.