SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, has published SafeGuardS 164.23 to keep stakeholders informed about moves in the European Union (EU) to revise specifications for perfluorooactane sulfonic acid and its derivatives (PFOS) under Regulation (EU) 2019/1021 on persistent organic pollutants (POP Recast Regulation).
The European Commission (EC) started a four-week consultation over a draft regulation on December 4, 2023. If approved, it will:
– Align language for substance identification for PFOS and its derivatives with those for perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
– Introduce an unintentional trace contaminant (UTC) limit value for PFOS and it salts for consistency with PFOA
– Strengthen the UTC limit level for PFOS-related compounds in substances, mixtures and articles
– Delete point 4 in relation to the specific exemption for the use of PFOS and its derivatives as a mist suppressant for non-decorative hard chromium plating due to alternative substitutes
– Remove point 5 in relation to analytical standards
SGS publishes SafeGuardS to keep stakeholders informed about regulatory and market changes that might impact their business. SafeGuardS 164.23 summarizes the proposals being made in the draft regulation and includes a table providing more details of the new provisions that are currently being consulted over and potential effective dates.
The four-week consultation ends on January 1, 2024.
SGS Chemical Testing
SGS offers a comprehensive range of testing services to help manufacturers and suppliers ensure their products are safe and comply with national and international regulations concerning harmful chemicals. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS Chemical Testing Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full EC Consults Over Revised Specifications for PFOS under POP Recast Regulation SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for sustainability, quality and integrity. Our 98,000 employees operate a network of 2,650 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.