SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, has published SafeGuardS 163.23 to summarize Japan’s designation of perfluorohexane sulfonic acid (PFHxS) and its salts as Class I specified chemical substances.
Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) announced Cabinet Order No. 343 to designate PFHxS and its salts as Class 1 specified chemical substances under ‘Act on the Evaluation of Chemical Substances and Regulation of their Manufacture etc.’ (Act No. 117 of October 16, 1973 – also known as the Chemical Substances Control Law (CSCL)) on December 1, 2023. This will enter into force on February 1, 2024, with the provision to ban the import of PFHxS and its salts in ten categories of product coming into force on June 1, 2024.
The ten categories of product are:
– Fire extinguishers, fire extinguishing agents for fire extinguishers and foams
– Etching agents used in metal processing
– Surface treatment agents for plating or their mixture additives
– Treated fabrics with water or oil repellent properties
– Treated clothing with water or oil repellent properties
– Treated floor coverings with water or oil repellent properties
– Water and oil repellents and fiber protection agents
– Anti-reflective agents used in the manufacture of semiconductors
– Etching agents used in the manufacture of semiconductors
– Resists for semiconductors
SGS publishes SafeGuardS to keep stakeholders informed about regulatory and market changes that may impact their businesses.
SGS Chemical Testing
SGS offers a comprehensive range of testing services to help manufacturers and suppliers ensure their products are safe and comply with national and international regulations concerning harmful chemicals. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS Chemical Testing Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Japan Regulates PFHxS and its Salts SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for sustainability, quality and integrity. Our 98,000 employees operate a network of 2,650 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.