The US Consumer Product Safety Commission
(CPSC) is currently seeking comments on its Notice of
Proposed Rulemaking (NPR) for a safety standard covering crib bumpers/liners
(16 CFR 1240).
A crib bumper/liner is defined in the NPR
“Any product intended to be placed against
any portion of the interior perimeter of a crib, and that reduces or eliminates
an infant’s access to the crib sides, slats, spindles, or the spaces between
The NPR has been issued in response to the
direction under section 104(b) of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act
(CPSIA). It is based on ASTM International’s voluntary standard – ASTM F1917-12
(Standard Consumer Safety Performance Specification for Infant Bedding and
Related Accessories) – but with several modifications.
- Add definition
of ‘crib bumper/liner’
- Crib bumper thickness requirement revised to apply to all crib bumpers and liners, and revise the test method by adding a minimum rate at which the bumper must pass through the test fixture and a surface finish requirement of 1.6 Ra for the text fixture
- Add a crib bumper firmness requirement and test method
- Add a crib bumper airflow requirement and test method
- Existing requirement for crib bumpers to be capable of being secured at certain locations replaced with a new crib bumper attachment requirement and test method
- Strength requirement for crib bumper ties revised to apply to all attachment means, with the addition of new strength requirements and test methods for decorative components and seams
- Crib bumper warning content, format, and placement requirements revised, with the addition of warning permanence requirements and test methods, and the addition of an extra crib bumper markings requirement
- Crib bumper instructional literature requirements added
Approved by the CPSC for publishing on
April 3, 2020, interested parties have until June 17, 2020, to submit comments.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with
relevant standards for juvenile products and childcare articles. They provide
consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection
services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide,
demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the
market. Learn more about SGS’s
Toy & Juvenile Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with
the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full US
CPSC Issues Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Crib Bumpers/Liners SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Technical Manager – Hardlines
Tel: +1 905 364 3757
Technical Director – Hardlines
Tel: +1 (973) 461-7953
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and
certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality
and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over
2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.