SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, is advising manufacturers and suppliers of toys that International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has published a new version of its safety standard for the mechanical and physical properties of toys – ISO 8124-1.
ISO 8124-1 applies to all toys – defined as any product designed or clearly intended for use in play by children under 14 years of age. It includes provisions relating to structural characteristics (shape, size, contour, spacing, etc.) and acceptable criteria relating to properties in specific toy categories.
Important provisions in the new standard include:
– Writing materials – no removable small part components
– Warnings – may now be placed on the product, so long as they are visible prior to purchase
– Ventilation opening options for toys that children can enter
– Electrically driven ride-on toys – new speed limitations
– Pull or push toys – new acoustic requirements (maximum A-weighted sound pressure level)
– New requirements for functional toys and toys intended to come into contact with food
– New requirements for inflatable toys, including toys not to be used in water
– Dimensions of the head probe for testing hazardous loops are modified
Published in September 2022, ISO 8124-1:2022 replaces the 2018 iteration and incorporates amendments ISO 8124-1:2018/Amd.1:2020 and ISO 8124-1:2018/Amd.2:2020, which related to flying toys, expanding materials and assembly.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. After all, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services.
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full ISO 8124-1:2022 Which Replaces ISO 8124-1:2018 and its Amendments Has Been Published SafeGuardS.
Subscribe here to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 96,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.